MAIN TEXT: Genesis 1:26-28, 2:18-25
SUMMARY: In Genesis 1-2, we see how God creates man and woman and why He creates them. We are created to bear His image and to be in relationship with Him. This is our identity. Being image bearers unites both genders, all races and all ages and provides a cohesive foundation for all of humanity. Man and woman are united together in equal dignity as the only species made in the image of God. They are equally entitled to the privileges of being image bearers and equally responsible for reflecting the God who has created them. When we come to comprehend this view, it leads to a greater understanding of the equal dignity and purpose of men and women, and our hearts should grieve where this dignity is ignored or rejected.
- Be intentional about loving people in your workplace, school or home who are typically hard for you to love. Make a list of them and pray for them.
- Confess areas of your life where you have marred or ignored the image of God in others. This may include times when you have bought into culture’s expectation of image or beauty, engaged in pornography or shown hostility toward a person or group of people.
- Commit to memorizing one of the following verses this week:
So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. Genesis 1:27
When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is man that you are mindful of him, and the son of man that you care for him? Psalm 8:3-4
- Thank God for creating us in His image. Celebrate the glorious truth that men and women share a common identity and purpose before the Lord.
- Seeing the truth of the image of God should enable us to process the tragic news of this world with a distinct sadness and grief. Pray that God would crush the sinful ways that the world—and we—seek to desecrate the image of God. Specifically, ask that the Lord would bring an end to the widespread acceptance and practice of abortion, sexual exploitation and slavery.
- Ask the Lord to break through the lies we have believed about who we are and refocus our eyes on the “image of God.”